Top 10 Reasons to Support Fair Trade
1. Fair Trade means fair pay and working conditions for farmers and producers. Products are made in safe and healthy working conditions, where farmers and producers receive a fair price and have a voice in how their workplace is run.
2. It’s better for the environment. Fair Trade supports sustainable practices that minimize our environmental footprint.
3. Fair Trade means high-quality goods. Artisans take pride in their work. Crafts are often handmade, which translates into closer attention to detail and in the end higher-quality products.
4. It means better tasting food. Farmers are involved and invested in the entire production process, and crops are grown and harvested in smaller quantities. As a result, Fair Trade food is fresher and tastier.
5. Fair Trade is safe. It actively promotes integrated farm management systems that improve soil fertility and preserve valuable ecosystems and limit the use of harmful agrochemicals that present dangers to farmers’ health. That means food that’s safer for you and for the people who grow it.
6. It supports communities. By working through cooperative structures, Fair Trade artisans and small farmers are able to invest earnings in their communities, improving housing, healthcare, and schools.
7. It’s trade farmers can count on. Fair Trade is committed to strengthening direct partnerships between buyers and producers. These partnerships provide an avenue for buyers to purchase quality products from people they trust and offer a sustainable and reliable way for farmers, artisans, and their families to improve their livelihood.
8. Fair Trade connects you with other cultures. Fair Trade products are unique to the places they come from and the people who make them. Farmers and artisans are involved in the entire process, and they reflect the people and cultures they come from.
9. It means sustainable local economies. It gives farmers and artisans control of their own future. They can build their own businesses, rather than working for a middleman, and the profits stay in their communities and go back into their businesses.
10. It means what you buy matters. By choosing Fair Trade products, you are not only accessing high-quality products, you are making a difference in the lives of the people who grow the food you eat and the goods you use.